Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Satellite Radio......Now this is how you EARN a customer!

So I've been holding off for awhile on jumping on the bandwagon of satellite radio to see how the whole game unfolds before I dump my money into a system.

You have 2 options when it comes to satellite radio, you can either go with XM or Sirius. Well, being that I'm a Howard Stern fan (don't hold it against me!!) I decided to wait and see what happened with Sirius and how 'serious' they got about their equipment.

In my reviews so far I've found that XM just has better quality equipment and a nice selection of stations to listen to, but again, being a Stern fan, I just couldn't go that route yet. Another big plus for me was being able to have a Walkman-style system that I could carry around with me. I like portability and want to be able to pick up and go with my radio when I need to, whether that be my house, my car or around the office. It's a must! Sorry, I'm picky!

Being that I'm an impatient consumer, I tried to push my luck and contacted Sirius thru their website to see if they offered anything or if there was plans for them to do so.

Not even an hour later I'm getting an email from a tech. support girl that gives me a complete breakdown on their newest product that's coming in October the REGO system.

Go ahead, go back and read that last statement, they emailed me right back to tell me about a future product!

Well, now I'm just full of questions, and I fire them to her and she was kind enough to answer them all for me. Now that my friends, is customer support! Here I'm not even a customer yet, and this girl went out of her way to tell me about their 'upcoming' products. You just dont see that type of service anymore.

Now for the kicker! Today, I get an email from her, with a gift certificate for $50 off of the radio and service when it hits in October! You rock!!!!!

No price on the system yet, but I'll make sure to review it as soon as I get it. Man, I'm gonna need a second job come winter time with all the new toys I'm gonna get!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW

We considered getting something like this, but we're just not in our vehicles long enough.. and at home, we never listen to music anymore.

But when we were thinking about it, I was more interested in XM because they gave you a break on the price for a second 'feed' or whatever they call it. Since we have two cars, we obviously wanted it in both. Sirius didn't. They charged full price for both. That was a real downer.

Gotta tell ya, tho, if Terry was still driving to Dallas every morning, we'd sure be looking into one of them.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting Sirius and like you I'm a Stern fan and have been for close to 20 years. I'm sending an email out today to see if I can get the same deal. Thanks bro, your Chia post and this one have been a great help.

Anonymous said...

Thats great Scary, $50 dollars off, Nice. I have 2 versions of XM. The Roady and the XM2go.. the roady is mine. I use it in my car and at home with the home station. I bought mine back in 2001-2002 when i was stationed in Ft. Bragg, NC and was traveling home every other weekend. It saved from looking for hip hop or Latin stations all over. Upon returning from Iraq the war with me and the wife over the Sat Radio began, so i ran out and bought her the XM2go $200+ something for it. While i was gone XM picked up the MLB package and i can listen to every game everyday played on its own channel. In the fall they will be having the Different NCAA divisions Big East, ACC, ect. and cover the different sports. Being she travels on the train into philly to work, she can use the mobile part and listen on the train. It also stores upto 5 hours of recorded music for them dead spots that Satelite wont reach she can go back and listen to recorded songs. Also compared to my Roady it came with the Casette module and the FM transmitter. For the Roady they are seperate peices that have to be purchased. My SUV has a casette player my Mazda doesn't. SO to use in my mazda i had to buy an FM transmitter. :( The XM2go was a good buy IMO and if it were available when i bought mine i would have went the XM2go route.

My cousin in boston too is waiting for Howard Stern on Sirius to purchase it as well.

Now my comparison to the 2 only difference i see is that Sirus plays more commercials then XM. My brother has Sirus and we travel around alot so i've heard both systems extensively. Sirius also have a better selection in Hip hop then my XM does.. :( but i have MLB atm.. :) If you are going to use it alot, it'll be worth the purchase. I love mine. I'm looking at the XM home reciver for my Home Theater set up as the base station is like a small radio and will soon migrate to my Job and i'll need something for home besides the XM2go transmitted thru FM.