Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Chia seeds! Not just for your pet!!!!


Check this out!

I'm so excited by this that I wanted to share it with anyone who stops by here.

For years, since my teens, I've suffered with horrible stomach problems. Lots of acid and crap like that. Needless to say, I've been miserable with it for going on 15 years now.

I developed an ulcer by the age of 16, suffered with acid reflux, and ended up trying tons of different medications, over the counter and prescribed. I just never found a fix for any of it.

Well, about 2 months ago, a friend of mine at work and I were talking and I told em all about my problems. He's really big in to teas and herbs, all natural cures for everything. So he had my attention. A few days later he shows up with a bag of chia seeds for me. I looked at em and asked just what the hell I was supposed to do with them. Well instead of me explaining it, I'll let the experts:

Chia, is familiar to most of us as a seed used for the novelty of the Chia Pet™, clay animals with sprouted Chia seeds covering their bodies. Little is known, however, of the seeds tremendous nutritional value and medicinal properties. For centuries this tiny little seed was used as a staple food by the Indians of the south west and Mexico. Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. Indians running form the Colorado River to the California coast to trade turquoise for seashells would only bring the Chia seed for their nourishment.

If you try mixing a spoonful of Chia in a glass of water and leaving it for approximately 30 minutes or so, when you return the glass will appear to contain not seeds or water, but an almost solid gelatin. This gel-forming reaction is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia. Research believe this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when food containing these gummy fibers, known as mucilages, are eaten. The gel that is formed in the stomach creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.

For more info, check this site out: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

I'll also give a plug for my friends lady friend that has her own natural tea shop, and has great prices on these. 1/2 lb. for around 5$. Check out her store, Naturl Remi-teas, here: http://www.naturalremi-teas.com/

Listen to me when I tell you that this solved all my stomach issues, and I've had a stomach free of any problems for the full 2 months. During Tiff's pregnancy she had horrible stomach acid and heartburn. I would give her a teaspoon full of the seeds and a full glass of water to wash em down and within a 1/2 hour no more heartburn. We swear by em now!

Not only that, but they are great for keeping the body hydrated, so if your in the need of trying to keep hydrated, give em a try.

If anyone does decide to give it a try, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read about this before and now that someone I know has tried it I might as well too. I'm ordering from the link you provided and will mention your blog in the order if I can.

Anonymous said...

This is great. Jenny has brutal stomach and acid problems and has tried a ton of pescription medicines to no avail. I'm shooting her the link. Thanks Aaron!

Anonymous said...

Wild. While the idea of making jello in my stomach sounds somewhat dangerous, I might give it a try. I get periodic reflux (about two years on, two years off), and being able to avoid medicine would be highly preferred.