Monday, June 13, 2005

A few choice words..........

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a bitter person (Shhhhh Tiffany!!) but this weekend brought to an end a courtship with a game site that I watched, from it's infancy, grow in to a mammoth monster. That site was Gamertag.com!

Back in the beta testing days, and the early infancy of XBox Live, I had the pleasure of meeting some really cool cats. After growing tired of everyone constantly asking 'hey, where are you from?' JFragment and his buddies put together an early database edition of what was back then, gamertagdatabase.com. For the first year or so we saw all sorts of editions to the site, Gamertag and Munck, which was always good for a laugh or two, Custard Speaks, the list goes on.

As time went on, GTDB.com grew enormous, and Jay, being the biz man that he is, decided he just didn't have the time to put forth on the site anymore, leaving it in the (at the time he thought) capable hands of Cynn/Slickmoney.

At first glance, a lot of us thought to ourselves, "Wow! This is gonna be huge! Big changes coming, and we get to be at the forefront of it all." Only Cynn/Slick decided to take their own approach and totally leave the rest of us out in the dark. So for months we chased down the messages 'what's wrong with Clash?', 'Why haven't I got my prizes from Clash', 'When can we expect new content from the site?' or even simple emails, as mods, we would get reports of bad posts, yet they wouldn't inform us that there were 'others' working on the site. So we had to be shotty mod's and leave most of that unanswered, and just wait for the day that Slick would post his infamous 'We'll tell you when you need to know', like it was some damn government operation! Guy's its a gaming site!

Hey, businesses have to run as a business. Period! But I look at it this way, here you have a guy, Cynn, who comes in and has Clash become a part of the GTDB.com lovefest, and he ends up gettin it so he's sole owner of the site now. Good for you. But listen, you must remember that those around you got the site to where it was at. You were handed the keys to the Ferarri and told to run with it. No one could have ever envisioned you driving it into a wall HEAD FIRST! You shouldn't treat friends/employees (however you labled us) as outsiders. We weren't asking for the blueprint to a nuclear bomb or anything. You chose your path, and gave no consideration to those around it. You started off the wrong way with your 'purging' of the mods in your first 90 days, just to follow everything up with 'You'll know when we want you to know!' Yeah, great, and let us mod's take shit for it!

I wanted to stay a bit more mature on this matter seeings how I let my buddy Dave throw my name in to the 'Resignation' letter without speaking my mind.

But then again, that's what my blogs for, isn't it?

Big things are ahead for me now. This gives me time to step back and understand gaming all over again. This is like 'lessons learned' for XBox in rev. 1. Now its time for 2.0! I think it's gonna be a very interesting year ahead!

As an edit, I would also like to throw in that Slickmoney was always a great friend online! We had the hardest of times always hooking up in-game, but when we did, good times were had by all! I sure hope to have your back in some WoW!

No comments: