Monday, May 15, 2006

Contact!

I had some time yesterday between some running around that Tiffany had and just being a lazy day that I sat thru a good portion of the movie 'Contact' again with Jodi Foster. I've never had a chance to sit completely thru this movie and wanted to catch it all. Of course I missed the ending, but thank goodness for digital video recorders! I'll catch the end tonight!

The reason for the mention is because of a lil program that I used to run on my computer for SETI. It was a little program that would run in the background and would basically analyize the data that those satellite dishes in the movies would pick up on. I started doing this back in '96 or so and just thought it would be cool to help contribute to science in some shape or form.

Now it's got some leg's under it and the data crunching has grown exponentially!

I'm mean, c'mon, how cool would it be to have your computer possibly analyze a piece of data that could be from a different world?? That is just way too cool! There are also some different studies that they have as well, I believe at one time there was a program to help decode DNA. Now that's pretty damn cool! Check out some of their other stuff at the SetiAtHome link.

If anyone is interested in learning more go to SetiAtHome for more details! I hope some of ya find it interesting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, both my husband and I used to have SETI running on our computers... I don't remember why we stopped, possibly because we picked up some spyware that was sending out evil emails using our accounts if we left our 'puters on overnite....

Happy universe scanning!

Anonymous said...

Been running Seti since at least 1998, I think I'm up to 12000 hours or something :) I just want a t-shirt that says "I found ET", lol