Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A classic example of 'They go in 3's'

Not really sure why, but the past few weeks have had me reflecting, again, on life and the possibilites of dying.

Now, don't jump to conclusions, but this is something that is permanently embedded in my DNA now and I think jotting it down here makes sense, if only for me.

I haven't been feeling well the past few weeks and I'm not sure if it's that old 'Ohio' sickness that I used to get ever so often or if it's more. I've been to my oncologist and the bloods great, but over the past few weeks I've had terrible headaches (for days on end, and no, aspirin hasn't helped) and just some odd body aches. I laid in bed for 2 hours with a strange sensation in the right side of my body. Almost bone-deep was the pain.

So, as I'm going thru my week, I find out on Thursday that a friend of the family has died for a fight with cancer. Ron was a dear friend of my dad's Aunt Barb. Good 'ol Aunt Barb had the 'hots' for Ron back in high school and had recently reconnected and became good friends again.

A few months ago, Aunt Barb called and wanted me to speak with Ron as he was just diagnosed with cancer. What type, he wasn't sure of. The doctors went back and forth over simple lung cancer to a few weeks later telling him it was a terminal organ cancer. As I spoke with Ron he was just shocked, 'Aaron, I feel just fine. I wouldn't have known that I had cancer unless the doctors told me so.' Then a few weeks later in talking with me he said 'Wow, you go from our conversation a few weeks ago to them now telling me I'm not gonna make it til Christmas'

Ron was a good guy, and I'm sad that I didn't get to talk to him more in his final days. Ron, your with the Lord now and your pain is no more. Your 'reaquaintance' with Aunt Barb had a purpose. Soon, we shall know that purpose. Aunt Barb is now back in Florida with Uncle Bob. I send her my thoughts, prayers and love.

So, as the heading says, 'They go in 3's' and indirectly i saw this unfold. Sean Taylor, of the Washington Redskins, was shot in his house while there relaxing from an injury he incurred just a few weeks prior. Now, here's a guy who had a lot of issues with the law and everything, but since the birth of his child he had been making tremendous strides in becoming a better person and putting that 'lifestyle' behind him. I don't know Sean personally, but reading the stories the past few days has made me reflect. Sad to see such a tragedy like this. Just another child who will have to grow up not knowing their parent because of some pathetic piece of garbage.

And the 3rd on the list was a big inspiration to my 'Metal (rock)' roots, Kevin Dubrow, of Quiet Riot.

Yes, the classic band that brought us the 'correct' version of 'C'mon Feel the Noise' and 'Momma Were All Crazy Now' and the classic 'Metal Health' album.

No known cause of death, but it's just sad. He was 52 years old.

The reason I mention this one in particular is due to the fact that this is a part of my generation now that I'm seeing die. Wether it be from natural causes or what have you. Soon, other legends of my rock and roll lifestyle will pass on and it again makes a person reflect on life and what were all doing.

I am making sure daily that if I do pass that I have left a legacy behind that I am proud of. I want my son to know that everyday I made an effort to interact with him and be a part of his life so that, if I pass early, he remembers how much his daddy loved him.

We are just days away from Brooke giving birth to Ayden as well. So as we say goodbye to some, we are about to welcome another! Good luck sunshine! We'll be there for you.

No comments: