Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Review: Operation: Mindcrime II = Saaawwwweeettt!!



As some of you may or may not know I am a very huge fan of the band Queensryche. I've followed them for years and years and years. I caught em for the first time when they opened up for Kiss back in 1986 on the Animalize tour.

To me, these guys are innovators in their genre and were always taking chances. Operation: Mindcrime was all I listened to the year it came out. The story in it was riveting and THE BEST concept album I ever ran across. Mind you, these are my worthless opinions!

So when I heard that they were going to tackle Mindcrime II, i was a bit skeptical. First and foremost, the heart of the band, Chris De Garmo is no longer with them, and it's sad to say, but their music just hasn't been up to snuff since he left. Oh yeah, I still loved every album thus far, but it was missing that feeling the Chris brought to their song writing. So with my fingers crossed and holding my breath I waited patiently......

After scouring the internet this morning I was finally able to snag it off of Rhapsody for a cool 9.99$! Not bad! I started with Operation: Mindcrime to get me started. I wanted the big lead up and then I then was thrust in to a very hard rockin, spot on album, Mindcrime II!! 17 songs telling the story of Nikki who has been in prison for 18 years after his crimes committed in the first Mindcrime.

The album has an appearance from the legendary small man himself, Ronnie James Dio, who plays the role of Dr. X. His vocals go to work battling Geoff Taite on the track 'The Chase' and gave me goose bumps listening to it!

Do yourself a favor if your in to this kind of music, download it or go buy it immediately! It's a great album. Rhino Records is streaming the album in its entirety today. I'd encourage you to go give it a listen!

Rumor also has it that Queensryche will tour this summer and perform both Mindcrimes, in the entirety. I cannot wait to see this one pulled off!!! Count me in!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To say I am a QR fan is an understatement, I worship them and in a way thats what made me nervous about this project. Having said that I will say that the cd is AMAZING, they pulled off the biggest stunt in my mind by not disappointing me after an 18 yr buildup of waiting for them to continue this story. And the rumor is true, bith Mindcrimes in entirety for the tour (Rammy and I are going 2 nights for it- secured the tix the other day).

Anonymous said...

I got the CD in the mail yesterday and have been through it twice, trying to make sense of it. Clearly, the direction of the story is far different, with Nikki having been transformed from a teenage rebel in search of a cause to a man with a mission of vengeance.

Having not heard the gunshot at the end of the "duel" between Nikki and X, I have to wonder: Did he really off X, or did he let him go?

Letting X go would be consistent with the point of view later expresssed that true freedom came not from killing X, but by refusing to be the killer that X had programmed him to be.

A fitting ending of the standoff would've been the police saving X, only to carry him off to a lifetime of confinement, ending his world and sentencing him to a fate that he thought he'd never have to face.

Also, we know he came close to suicide, but again, nothing said what actually happened.

Maybe I just missed these answers - there is just so darn much wrapped into this album that it's taking time to dig all the meaning out of it.

Maybe the answers are being saved for those who attend their concerts - which will include me.

Anonymous said...

I'm HUGE Queensryche fan and worshipped Mindcrime in High School. OMG the memories! I got Mindcrime II today and my ears are still rining in bliss!!! It always warms my heart to see others appreciate the albums.